Korczak's Declaration of Children's Rights
Compiled by Betty Jean Lifton
Janusz Korczak was a Polish-Jewish educator, children's author, and pediatrician, who ran an orphanage in Warsaw called "Dom Sierot". When Dom Sierot was sent from the Warsaw Ghetto to the Treblinka extermination camp during WWII, Korczak refused freedom and entered the gas chambers with his children and staff. "You do not leave a sick child in the night, and you do not leave children at a time like this," he said. A pioneer of children's rights, Janusz Korczak was the first to put into words the necessity to respect children as fully-fledged human beings. The Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted by the United Nations in 1989 drew on Korczak's work.
- The child has the right to love.
Love the child, not just your own."
- The child has the right to respect.
Let us demand respect for shining eyes, smooth foreheads, youthful effort and confidence, Why should dulled eyes, a wrinkled brow, untidy gray hair, or tired resignation command greater respect?"
- The child has the right to optimal conditions in which to grow and develop.
We demand: do away with hunger, cold, dampness, stench, overcrowding, overpopulation."
- The child has the right to live in the present.
Children are not people of tomorrow; they are people today."
- The child has the right to be himself or herself.
A child is not a lottery ticket, marked to win the main prize."
- The child has the right to make mistakes.
There are no more fools among children than among adults."
- The child has the right to fail.
We renounce the deceptive longing for perfect children."
- The child has the right to be taken seriously.
Who asks the child for his opinion and consent?"
- The child has the right to be appreciated for what he is.
The child, being small, has little market value."
- The child has the right to desire, to claim, to ask.
As the years pass, the gap between adult demands and children's desires becomes progressively wider."
- The child has the right to have secrets.
Respect their secrets."
- The child has the right to a lie, a deception, a theft.
This doesn't mean that he always has the right to lie, outwit, coerce and steal. If a person didn't have a single chance as a child to pick out the raisins in a cake and pinch them a bit in secret, then he isn't honest; he won't be honest when his character has been formed." "It is your duty to raise human beings, not sheep, workers, preachers but physically and morally healthy human beings."
- The child has the right to respect for his possessions and budget.
Everyone has the right to his property, no matter how insignificant or valueless."
- The child has the right to education.
- The child has the right to resist educational influence that conflicts with his or her own beliefs.
It is fortunate for mankind that we are unable to force children to yield to assaults upon their common sense and humanity."
- The child has the right to protest an injustice.
We must end despotism."
- The child has the right to a Children's Court where he can judge and be judged by his peers.
We are the sole judges of the child's actions, movements, thoughts, and plans... I know that a Children's Court is essential, that in fifty years there will not be a single school, not a single institution without one."
- The child has the right to be defended in the juvenile-justice court system.
The delinquent child is still a child... Unfortunately, suffering bred of poverty spreads like lice: sadism, crime, uncouthness, and brutality are nurtured on it."
- The child has the right to respect for his grief.
Even though it be for the loss of a pebble."
- The child has the right to commune with God.
- The child has the right to die prematurely.
The mother's profound love for her child must give him the right to premature death, to ending his life cycle in only one or two springs... Not every bush grows into a tree."
It is good to rub and polish our brain against that of others.
~ Michel de Montaigne
This page was last updated on November 20th, 2015
© 2008-2017 Fort Refuge. Please don't reproduce without permission.