• Hey :) Just a reminder that Fort community is not equipped to discuss current ongoing abuse. If you're currently involved in an abusive relationship - please log out, contact hotlines and/or alternative sites (the Help tab on top of any page lists a few of each), and feel free to come back to Fort once you're safe and stable. Be safe.

Broken Trust

Lynell

Getting The Hang Of It
So about these lingering trust issues...

About 6 years ago, when I was 6 months out of abuse and into recovery, I suffered a serious broken relationship with an authority figure in my life. This person abused their power over me and broke my confidence. It boiled down to gossip and slander (he and his wife speculated about my mental health and made an accusation against me that they...well, there was no conviction in what they said. That's why I call it gossip.)

He works in what we call in my state a "helping profession", so one that is legally obligated to report abuse or intervene when someone is in harm's way. As such, it was completely strange that he never voiced his supposedly serious concerns beyond some destructive controlling behaviors and speculation with members of his staff...which, of course, got back to me. As these things always will in tight communities.

The situation was gray and complex. I was only just fighting my way through the 14 years of compiled shame that came with my abuse. But I did find my voice, eventually. I confronted him 6 months later and demanded an explanation for his behavior, with his bosses in the room. He gave a politicians explanation and a non-apology ("I'm sorry if you felt..."). It went to a cold war for years after that. But now...his bosses want to deal with it again. They are concerned about other ethical strangeness they see in him and see our broken relationship as a turning point. I want to help - goodness, I'm impressed they want to address it at all after all this time! Some shift, them recognizing he has a problem. But it's tough to trust after all that happened before when I was in such a fragile state. None of these people knew I'd been abused until recently.

What do you do to work on trust? How do you develop your sense of when people deserve your trust and when they don't?

I know we all struggle with swinging between trusting too much too soon or not at all, thanks to the abuse. I've just never figured out how to "read" or test situations. I tend to live in too much hope or too much fear of being hurt again.

Jane

Lark Ascending
Got Keys
I am so sorry this 'professional' abused his position...added additional stress to your life. Glad that your complaint is adding to subsequent concerns about this man's behaviour - his managers' (albeit a bit down the line) fear that he may not be a safe practitioner.

Hear your fear that cooperating in their investigation. Think that is natural given your history with this man and his organisation. Idk not at all sure how to deal with this fear/lack of trust. Have been in a similar situation - things I did was to take a trusted support person to all interviews and set some boundaries e.g. no contact with me outside interview times, that I would not be in the room with my protagonist and most importantly I could withdraw my consent to cooperate in this matter at any time.

Other thing is that it is absolutely your choice to cooperate with this investigation - your choice to only do this if you wish to - believe it is in your best interests - will not it will not undermine your healing. Know that this was a hard fact for me to realise and a relief when I did.

For you :rs:rs

Lynell

Getting The Hang Of It
A support person is a great idea, Thanks Jane! :ty I tried to take someone like that with me to the original confrontation years ago and they said no. It would help tremendously to have someone with me this time, someone who can help me parse the conversation after.

I do need to be careful. There's a lot going on. I am making them wait for a while before moving forward with any more conversations. Sent the email a little while ago. I started a round of EMDR treatments recently and I think I will delay until that's well underway.

What's weird is how much I *want* to trust people. I'm just aching for people to be safe. Because that feels like something nonabused people get to do. (sorry, a little bitterness there.) I think I can be patient and move slowly despite that longing. I've got my safe people, my team and counselor to lean on. The police investigation is still going on and the other victims are finding their voices. People are being respectful because of all of that and deferring to me about next steps. Which, honestly, that's a very new thing to me, to have people listen to me and actually respect my wishes...it's so weird.

Thanks for the roses. Love having y'all here. :gh

Jane

Lark Ascending
Got Keys
People are being respectful because of all of that and deferring to me about next steps. Which, honestly, that's a very new thing to me, to have people listen to me and actually respect my wishes...it's so weird.
Glad this is how it is - imo how it should always have been...your right.

If I may, a safe and supportive hug :hug