+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cant see my self

Unregistered Guest

cant see my self

hi i was just wondering how to deal with not being able to see myself in the mirror or pictures , i know its me i just dont identify with it as me, there are not many pics of me as i hate having my pic taken this has been this way all my life, so how to i learn to see my self and why cant i identify with my self in pics and mirrors. thanks.

this is an anonymous peer support group, we cant really offer professional advice, especially about treatment options. might wanna look up depersonalization? heres a link to a wiki page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

for you
    Guidelines | FAQ | Talk to Mods | Get Keys | Contributors Club

*Honorary Member of The Troll Patrol doing laundry in public:

Unregistered Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Manya View Post
    this is an anonymous peer support group, we cant really offer professional advice, especially about treatment options. might wanna look up depersonalization? heres a link to a wiki page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

for you
    thanks i will take a look

Affection
    test
    I actually have this issue but didn't really exactly grasp it.
    Yet I am currently in therapy and the focus is coping with trauma.
    Somehow, this week, for the first time that I can recall since a kid, I actually am able to see my body.
    It is really hard to explain cause if you ever asked me if I could see my legs or such, I'd think, of course!!
    But this week, I can really see my body.
    I know it may seem like it doesn't make sense.
    Yet somehow, it is different for me this week, I can see my body way more than I have in like over 25 yrs.

5. The following user says thank you to Sunfl0wer for this useful post:

weepingwillow (02-18-2017)

Unregistered Guest
    I have had difficulty with that too. I would sometimes force myself to look in the mirror and just become more and more disconcerted because I couldn't recognize myself... it was like staring at a stranger. I would try visualization techniques and realized I could visualize anyone and anything, except my own face. I started practicing Kundalini yoga and during a meditation I was able to "see" myself for the first time. It's still a challenge sometimes, but for me it's a process of self-discovery and acceptance.

Unregistered Guest

Feeling invisible

I have been where you are... I think we go through this stage because we lose sight of ourselves and our identity because of the ongoing abuses. We tend not to focus on ourselves because we are too focused on the abuser and how to stop the abuse. We may also mentally escape during difficult times as a way of coping with the abuse and to avoid physical and emotional pain. To reconnect to myself, I close my eyes and focus on my breathing and then focus on each part of my body, I feel it has helped me reconnect my mind and body as a whole. I wish you all well!

There's a book called Stranger in the Mirror Dissociation the Hidden Epidemic.

9. The following 2 users say thank you to Cloudy for this useful post:

Sunfl0wer (04-06-2017),weepingwillow (04-08-2017)

+ Reply to Thread