+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent trigger

christian330 Guest

Recent trigger

Hey all
    I am a survivor of domestic abuse. I got away from my abuser over 10 years ago now. I'm in a very mature, happy relationship with a loving Christian man. However, recently I experienced a very hurtful, unkind and humiliating comment by a brother at church in front of other people about my weight. My fiance stood up for me but I really froze and it took me back to the time with my ex. I was very emotional for a few days after. I havent had direct counselling all these years but have spoken to people about it, gave it to God and felt fine, but my reaction to this experience has made me feel I need to. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. x

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Hi Christian...

I am glad that your abuse is in the past - that you now have the support of a loving partner. Have been in the situation where some (often minor) comment, incident, smell or such has triggered me to remember and once again react to things that I thought I had moved on from.

Thing I find that helps me is to acknowledge these feelings...give myself permission to grieve, get angry or whatever my body is telling me I need to do. In many instances this settles things down and I can move on again. If my self care strategies do not work and the memories/feelings persist and continue to cause me stress I take it as a message that there is something I need to process...do further work on and from experience know that to do this effectively...not get overwhelmed I need the support of a therapist.

Hope sharing what works for me helps
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

3. The following user says thank you to Jane for this useful post:

weepingwillow (01-06-2017)

+ Reply to Thread