+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for someone who gets it.

Looking for someone who gets it.

I've been staring at this thread space trying to figure out what to write. I understand little about what's happening with me. I only started to really remember the abuse a few years ago. The images that play in my headspace take place from age 5 through 13. My therapist calls these flashbacks. He is great but he doesn't really get it. The struggle is day to day and most of the time I feel very isolated. My family refuses to acknowledge the abuse. They spend a great deal of time trying to convince me that it isn't real. I guess I'm here because I'm trying to find someone who simply understands or maybe even someone who can help me better understand. This is my first time trying something like this so I'm not even sure if this is what I'm supposed to write. Here's hoping someone responds with some insight.

2. The following 3 users say thank you to JJUNSURE for this useful post:

Alia (12-01-2016),Jane (12-01-2016),weepingwillow (11-28-2016)

Welcome. There are a lot of people here who can relate to what you wrote.

4. The following user says thank you to Jobriel for this useful post:

Jane (12-01-2016)

Affection
    ok
    Your words are familiar. I started remembering things when I was 30 and most of the people I tried talking to about it just blew me off. Some of it is so weird even I have a hard time believing it. It often comes on like movies playing out in my head, where I'm watching a scene where something happens to me, but I'm in the corner or on the ceiling or something. Other times I feel the emotions and sensations but have no visuals so I have to just guess what it was that happened. You are definitely not alone.

The key, I think, is to keep trying. I eventually found a few people who have been very understanding and supportive of these issues. One of them has even done tons of research for me to help me figure out the what and why, and I wouldn't have that if I'd just given up when met with disbelief and condescension.

6. The following user says thank you to LCraven for this useful post:

Jane (12-01-2016)

I haven't even been able to talk to my therapist about it hope this can help me adopt a healthy approach

8. The following user says thank you to Monalisa for this useful post:

Jane (12-01-2016)

Hey, I hear your want to understand what's happening.
    It's not something someone can just... Explain it though.
    Trauma is something we each experience a tad uniquely, so there's no way any one comment could put to rest ever nagging question you've got about this.
    That's not to say you can't understand, it just takes some time, trust, and effort. I've learned so much just by asking questions here when they come to me, I ask if thoughts/feelings/behaviors/happenings are normal/if anyone else experiences these things and I'm often times met with tons of validation and lots of people offer very insightful feedback. I also feel this way in responding to other people's posts. Over all I end up using this information to both light and fuel my own journey in discovering what's going on in my head, and I've made note worthy progress.
    If you stick around, ask bold questions, and push your boundaries a little here, you will be rewarded.
    I hope to see you around the forums, but whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. :)
    "as long as I'm still standing, I can look ahead" ~Skyhill
    We are the resistance.

+ Reply to Thread