+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone ever confronted their perpetrator?

Affection
    I live on hugs.
    Not sure if you're interested or what the laws are where you are, but here if you can prove it's him in any way you can press charges for harassment. That may give your "respect my boundaries" stance more weight, if you press charges. idk him or you of course, or the laws where you're at, so it may not be an option or a good idea for you. In similar circumstances I asked to be left alone, all that did was give an opening for the person to think they could convince me to let them back in my life. Doesn't always go like that, just how it happened for me.
    "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -- Robin Williams
    "Don't be afraid of the shadows, that only means there's a light nearby." -- Evanescence
    "So when you’re feeling crazy, and things fall apart, listen to your head, remember who you are." -- Three Days Grace
    "But I am not really worried, I am not overly concerned. You try to tell yourself the things you tell yourself to make yourself forget." -- Counting Crows
    "Our brains are sick, but that's OK!"
    "Peace will win and fear will lose."

"And I will say that we should take a moment and hold it, and keep it frozen and know that life has a hopeful undertone."
    "It ain't the speakers that bump hearts, it's our hearts that make the beat!" -- twenty øne piløts |-/

2. The following user says thank you to weepingwillow for this useful post:

Manya (06-08-2017)

Affection
    test
    Imo, it depends. Depends to me how things ended. Did you ghost him? Does he know that you never wanted to talk to him again or you just kinda showed him via behaviors. And it had been a year and a half, why the heck is he reaching out now, what is he saying?? Like maybe you had a kid by him and the kid is now in the world so he wants contact? Maybe you were having limited contact and reached out yourself some? Maybe he heard you just got out of the hospital?

Idk you, or your situation is what I am saying. Not saying you had his baby or such at all...or did ghost him...(or maybe you feel you had to ghost for safety, idk) ... or anything else....just saying I'm not gonna give opinions when I got no clue at all the dynamics at play here. Not judging at all, just saying...I simply do not know and think other stuff matters.

I got reasons in my own head why trying to make contact could be perfectly reasonable to me.
    Or maybe it is not, idk.

So idk
    Had I not created my whole world. I would certainly have died in other people’s. ~Anias Nin

4. The following user says thank you to Sunfl0wer for this useful post:

Manya (06-08-2017)

did you ever tell him to not contact you again?
    i think this needs to be said, it cant be implied or self-understood or whatever, it needs to be said literally, to avoid any misunderstandings. but i also think it only needs to be said once. cuz repeating it continuously gives a double-message - on one hand i dont wanna have contact but on the other hand i keep responding. and i also think it gives the other person undue power. cuz its engaging them, arguing, justifying, explaining, appealing to their consciousness, etc. like "respect my boundaries" - to me its an appeal to consciousness and an attempt at reasoning with them. its almost like "youre hurting my feelings". just my personal thing, im sure many people feel differently. but i personally only extend this much communication to friends, to people i like. people i dont like only get a "please don't contact me again", cuz we're past the stage of explanations and treating each other as reasonable people who can hear and understand words. if im asking someone to not contact me again - it means i dont believe in their ability to hear the words that are coming outta my mouth, otherwise we woulda resolved our conflicts somehow. so if they are incapable of hearing me - why would i bother arguing with them... just a "do not contact me again" followed up by a complaint to the police. the last time i had to do it the police was super nice (kudos to the UK police btw, it was my first interaction with them and i was hugely impressed) and i didnt even end up filing any reports or orders of protection or anything of the sort. i just told them i didnt wanna press the issue cuz the person seemed unstable and i felt bad for them, but that i didnt wanna continue receiving their messages. forwarded the copy of my "do not contact me again" statement and a coupla samples of what i received after that. so the police just paid them a home visit and explained to them that i was being nice by not taking any legal action, but that it would be in their best interest to cut it out cuz my patience isnt unlimited. i never heard back from that person
    Guidelines | FAQ | Talk to Mods | Get Keys | Contributors Club

*Honorary Member of The Troll Patrol doing laundry in public:

6. The following 2 users say thank you to Manya for this useful post:

Tasha1701D (06-08-2017),weepingwillow (06-08-2017)

Unregistered Guest
    @weepingwillow hmm I checked and I think I can press charges, or at least I'd be able to tell him I could if it still continued. (I sort of feel like if I did respond it'd just be an opening too but we'll see.)

@Sunfl0wer unfortunately I said we'd still be 'friends' without knowing he was emotionally abusive four months post breakup. And thank goodness no kid (just dated for a year), haven't reached out in any way at all. And yeah I understand varying situations and whatnot thanks for your input all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Manya View Post
    did you ever tell him to not contact you again?
    i think this needs to be said, it cant be implied or self-understood or whatever, it needs to be said literally, to avoid any misunderstandings. but i also think it only needs to be said once.
    Unfortunately I haven't (there wasn't a need honestly because there were no attempts or anything for a year, it's just this year for some reason they decided to try a bunch of times, haha). And didn't think of how the 'respect boundaries' thing might be taken so yeah just going to keep to don't contact me. Glad to hear that they left you alone after, too.

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Seems to be a very personal thing whether or not to confront your abuser - in my case I never did. Just within my gut knew that it would not lead to anything good for me. Would be met with denial and lead to further pain. Can see why this decision is not the right one for everyone...some find it good to eyeball and have it out with their abuser...the likelihood of a negative reaction is one they have taken into acct and are prepared to live with rather than continuing to deny their own truth of what happened.

Thing I have done is write a 'no holds barred' letter to my perpetrator...not with the intention of posting it - rather to help myself process/release some of the stress his actions caused me
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

9. The following user says thank you to Jane for this useful post:

freedom2016 (09-03-2017)

for me

For my experience, my ex denied the abuse even to the point of claiming what he did wasn't "abuse", that it was "a natural response to how I acted or spoke to him". He even claimed that I was abusing him because I would lie to him in order to keep myself and my children safe. For me, it's like in the cycle of abuse where the abuser always blames the other person. No matter what happened even during our relationship, he always said it was my fault. After I left, he still blamed me for what happened and for everything even after I left. It's always a 'no-win' situation. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    "Don't wait for your feelings to change to take action. Take actions and your feelings will change." -Barbara Baron

11. The following user says thank you to freedom2016 for this useful post:

Jane (09-03-2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12