+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supporting a Survivor of Childhood Sexual Abuse

Unregistered Guest

Supporting a Survivor of Childhood Sexual Abuse

Anyone been here before? I'm one year into this journey of supporting my spouse who was abused as a child. Her past trauma came crashing into our world about a year ago and she's still profoundly confused over what is happening to her. I keep searching for something that will help but I keep coming up empty. I'm here for her but am wondering if we will ever make progress. Her counselor has been little help... not understanding trauma much at all.

Unregistered Guest

For the man who supports his spouse

First I would like to say that I have been reading posts and never felt comfortable enough to join in until I read your post. I, just as your wife, am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I never realized how much it affected my life and still have trouble understanding how events from so far back could still affect me today. I always felt as if I had control over my life and felt that I was better off forgetting about everything that happened. I actually still have myself convinced that I'm better off not talking about my experiences but my Dr says otherwise so I started reading the posts. When I read about your wife and how her experience has affected your relationship it made me think back on my past relationships. This could possibly be why I have always had bad relationships, it seemed as if I was the one who would self-sabatage and ruin the relationship for myself as well as my boyfriend. I have obviously let this experience affect every area of my life. I have always had a complex that no one could sway. No matter how many compliments I received I knew that everyone was lying to me just to make me feel better, or so I thought. I have always been very insecure and that has caused problems in past relationships, I have always felt that I was never good enough for anyone and that I was lucky to have anyone because I was such a miserable person. I felt like all my friends were only my friends to my face but would talk about me behind my back. I felt like my boyfriends were only with me to use me & none of them ever actually cared about me. I let it affect my intimacy with them, as well as my trust. I never would allow myself to trust them & to this day I still continue to distrust someone unless they have repeatedly proved that they were and are trustworthy. I don't want to be like that anymore. If talking about my experience will help then I will try that in due time. I did want to reply to your post though because it was the first one that has really stuck out to me. I don't know if your wife has ever felt the ways that I have explained but if she has then I understand. Its very difficult to talk about my experience but I did want to share some of the results of my abuse. I never tied any of my actions and feelings to those experiences until my Dr mentioned it. I am almost 40 and this abuse stoped for me when I was 14. I have pushed everything back for all those years until now. I am having a very difficult time dealing with these experiences, even trying to remember them completely. Its as if I can only remember bits and pieces because I chose to block it out for so long.
    I am interested in knowing how you wife has been affected just to see if anything that I have been going through for the past 26 years is anywhere similar to any on else. I know that every person deals with particular traumas differently but I'm still looking for some similarities so that maybe I can help someone and they can help me.
    Last but not least, I highly respect you for supporting her. Its not easy to support someone who has gone through something like this, I know that I have been very difficult to support.
    Thanks for letting me share.

+ Reply to Thread