+ Reply to Thread

Thread: confused

confused

Any advice on how to build up self esteem? Every since I left my last abusive relationship I feel like he took a piece of me and I can't get it back. I am open to any suggestions. It is extremely hard for me to look at myself in the mirror from day to day. I do not want to revert back to my old habits which is self harm. I have been vey depressed for the last couple of weeks. I recently started back going to counseling but it seems I is making me feel worse.
    Broken but repairable

Affection
    All are welcome.
    Welcome to The Fort!

For me I am building self esteem by grieving past abuse situations and being compassionate towards myself. I think building self esteem is a real process. Talking, feeling, grief, less guilt and compassion then maybe self love?

Hope you figure it out.

if okay.

Unregistered Guest
    I want to start by saying that I am in no way qualified to give you a professional answer, but I think my advice may help as I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for a number of years and have spoken to others who have.

After you have given yourself time to grieve I think the best way to gain self esteem is through a method that draws it out of you.

An effective way for me was to volunteer with my local police force, but that is throwing yourself in at the deep end and is a sink or swim method.

Friends of mine turned to acting with a local small theatre group. You are in an environment where everyone is confident and it really does rub off. Most groups are really friendly and supportive, and you can be so you want to be until you are ready to be you again.

I wish you the best and hope you can leap forward.

+ Reply to Thread