+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Counseling/therapist issues and discussions

Affection
    No
    sometimes we overthink things. im guilty of that a lot. just take it a day at a time and see what comes of it. 97% of choices we make can be undone. at least in my experience. so i don't worry to much about 'yes' answers.

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    If you are interested we have some great articles on therapy/therapists...choosing one and such in our library http://www.fortrefuge.com/library.php#therapy also links to agencies some of which offer on-line or face to face support (by professionals or trained volunteers) listed under the help tab in our header.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

Unregistered Guest

When mine won't go to therapy its time for me to go

I thought that access to therapy and mental health care and support was one of the best things I could offer my kids. I sure wish I'd had this access when I was a kid. I thought that my willingness to offer access to counseling/therapy would at least assure my teens I will be honest, not keep secrets, and be willing to look at and correct my own shortcomings; and have these be scrutinized by professionals. My teen daughters are only interested in counseling therapy during times of high anxiety, such as dating a new guy, starting up in a new school. Other than these times, when I suggest therapy, my kids respond with "maybe you should go mom". More often than not, I do go and more often than not this ends up being helpful for all of us. We've been through some trauma but it's passed now. The kids are moving on with their lives and they know that all they ever need to do is ask and whatever support is needed will be provided to the best of my ability. It sounds like you are doing this also and I don't know that there is more that we can do. You may find that therapy for you regarding your concerns over your daughter may be very helpful for both of you.

Unregistered Guest
    Also, it might have to do with a struggle for control. Everyone has such great answers. In order for counseling to benefit her she needs to want to be there and feel itís her choice. It sucks that she went through what she did and I would imagine she may struggle with feeling she is making decisions or having control. Maybe support the positive coping you do so? Is there anything positive she is or can do?

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    that counseling works best if the person does not feel coerced to be there. Once attended couple counselling with a reluctant partner. In his opinion 'we might as well have put the money we spent on the floor and set fire to it'. Can see why he felt like this. He didn't want to be there, did not want to discuss issues that he felt had no foundation and certainly did not see any need to change the dynamics of our relationship. Was disappointing but the only option for me was to accept how he felt...not agree with it but accept that this was his truth. Needless to say our relationship didn't have a happy ending. We stood too far apart on important matters to be able to work as a functional team.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234