+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help trying to save a family member.

Help trying to save a family member.

My niece is 22 years old and totally depended on her boyfriend. They argue constantly and she continues to go back. He has degraded her on facebook and she explains it as he just wants attention. HELP!!

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Hi Shaelby.

It is hard to stand by and watch someone make decisions that worry you...to not see concerns that you see. To rationalise and explain away bad behaviour in another. However this is sometimes the only thing we can do. As an adult she has an absolute right to make her own decisions (good or bad) and as long as she doesn't break the law live her life as she wishes. She of course is also responsible for the consequences (good or bad) of her choices. The most you can do is offer her advice (which she may or may not listen to) and more importantly be there for her...offer her a safe refuge and support if she needs it.

I know how hard it is to not try and take control (for the best possible reasons) however we have no right to do this with an adult.

May I commend you for being such a caring aunt to your young niece. For you a war hug.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

+ Reply to Thread