+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living with DID...

Unregistered Guest
    Not sure why your therapist is not listening to you and trying to work on what you feel is wrong within you, something I have always fought against in my own life is doctors physical and mental to listen to me as I know my body better than they do. Sometimes switching therapists might be the way to go. With many psychological illnesses it is hard for you to get any answers without someone willing to work with you and listen to you. As others have said DID presents differently in different people as with all mental illnesses there is no exact science like there is with the physical body.

Affection
    gently and safely please
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not sure why your therapist is not listening to you and trying to work on what you feel is wrong within you, something I have always fought against in my own life is doctors physical and mental to listen to me as I know my body better than they do. Sometimes switching therapists might be the way to go. With many psychological illnesses it is hard for you to get any answers without someone willing to work with you and listen to you. As others have said DID presents differently in different people as with all mental illnesses there is no exact science like there is with the physical body.
    Firstly if "unregistered guest" as quoted above is the same as thread starter, shall assume not, and if incorrect, apologies offered, it is not intended to be offensive. We are so glad for you that you have the level of insight as to know your body better than your drs and therapists.

Finding an affordable therapist with whom you can work with is not always easy because of the physical locality, city/state/urban/rural/county/country etc services available. Additional to these restraints, can be culture of a professional environment, or cutural essence (for no better word,) language; religion and beliefs can also impact on options available. Changing therapists or therapy is never easy. In some cases it is take what you can get, or the better of the bunch, in which case the decision of what is achievable and learning to adapt and work with the restrictions is the alternative to no therapy. It can be harder, but if "harder" all that is available, "harder" is what is worked with, but does not make it impossible.

Marley

Unregistered Guest

Banishing harmful alters

I have been helping a survivor of sra for 13 years. She suffers from mpd and has recently remembered the birth and subsequent sacrifice of her first baby, at a very early age. Another personality has just appeared who has been put in by the cult (I believe at that time) to guard the secrecy of this knowledge. It makes her hurt herself by cutting, biting, and hitting herself if she tells me anything. I am not sure how to get rid of this alter. She is threatening me with not allowing contact with the various personalities. A threat which she has not been able to carry out, although it does cause a great deal of anxiety to the alters when I am talking with them. She has told me she doesn't want to be horrible - that "they" are making her cruel and punishing. She wants my help to change. None of the others trust her or want me to have any contact with her. Do I need to work with her, or should I continue to ignore her?

you say helping and i'm wondering what your relationship is to this person. it takes professional training to truly help trauma survivors. if you are a support to herů great, but please consider that inside systems are very complex and it takes experience to understand how to work with them.

systems are made up of parts of us. it's unwise to consider banishing anyone. that part services a purpose even if you cannot understand the method. those that act out are often the protectors, and are needed. they often hold a lot of energy, that energy can be used for change. i understand that the responses of this part may look totally opposite to protection but systems have developed in unique ways in order to function.

there are reading materials that you might find helpful. i found "the dissociative identity sourcebook" a good over explanation of how DID works and what therapy might look like for a DID client.

5. The following 4 users say thank you to terry for this useful post:

Jane (02-08-2014),SnailShell (02-03-2014),Tasha1701D (02-02-2014),weepingwillow (02-02-2014)

Unregistered Guest

DID

Is it safe for my parts to come out here and talk apart from me? Will we get in trouble for that?

yep, welcome to do that, no trouble at all. can all share one account, or can create a few accounts - one for each alter, or one for kids an one for adults, or whichever way you like
    Guidelines | FAQ | Talk to Mods | Get Keys | Contributors Club

*Honorary Member of The Troll Patrol doing laundry in public:

8. The following 2 users say thank you to Manya for this useful post:

MakeshiftWe (04-26-2014),weepingwillow (04-27-2014)

We Refer to Ourselves as the Flock Mentality

Hello, all. I'm new here, and I hope that you can be welcoming to my system mates as well. I'm not sure how many of us there are, and we often can't tell exactly who we are until we have settled a little into ourselves. Right now I am Cecil.

We believe ourselves to have OSDD (Other Specified Dissociative Disorder), although we are currently undiagnosed because no doctor has been willing to listen to us. We are of one shared consciousness and do not experience amnesia or lost time as a result.

We believe that our OSDD is a result of our trauma that occurred around the age of six. If you must know, it was sexual abuse and we have PTSD. At some point, we must have formed OSDD as a coping mechanism. Though, we can never be quite certain.

Currently we are aware of members in our systems named Wes, Ana, Leila, Artemis, Cecil and Vee. We definitely believe there is more, but we cannot pinpoint anything. Wes is our current host, so that may be who talks the most here, but we shall see.

Anyway, a hello from us to you all. I hope we can all get along swimmingly.

10. The following 2 users say thank you to cacatuidae for this useful post:

Jane (06-26-2016),MakeshiftWe (06-26-2016)

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    cacatuidae

Good to have you join us.

So sorry that you are struggling to find a doctor who is willing to listen to you. I hope that you continue to seek someone who has expertise in dissociative disorders they are out there. From experience I know that self-diagnosis at it's best is an inexact thing especially as many disorders share common symptoms. Idk took me many years of wrong dx and treatment before I was (hopefully, correctly diagnosed as having DID.

Have recently been reading up on the prevalence of 'voice hearing' in the wider community - is not at all rare. Many, many people say they hear voices...find them helpful...appreciate this is not how it is for everyone. But some really interesting research on this subject out there...starting to shape the way some professionals see and treat schizophrenia, DID and other disorders.

About to start a thread on this topic in our members' only therapy folder.

For you.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Just a heads up we have some interesting articles on DID (dissociated identity disorder) and associated conditions in our library. You can access this by clicking on the link in our page header.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123