+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anorexia and eating disorders

Unregistered Guest

Eating Disorder

Alright i never use forums or blogs or chat rooms or anything like that so im just kinda trying it for right now... I am 17 and have been anorexic for a few years, went to therapy for it for about a year, was never hospitalized, it never really acted up for about a year and i stopped going to therapy due to my mom needing the money for other personal problems for herself (long story, not going into that) and it didn't ever really bother me. I had thought i overcame my anorexia but it seems to have come back. I don't know if it came back or if i was never finished recovering.. But anyways, it has been bothering me that i feel different from "other anorexics". If that makes sence at all... I am not the type of person to count calories, binge, watch how much i eat, i don't really eat healthy, i don't excercise accessivly, and all in all i do not look in a mirror and see myself exactly as "fat". When i look at myself, i know im a skinny person. I am 4"7.5 feet tall and weigh between 80-82 pounds. I know i am small, so i am not like a typical anorexic girl. Something i do look at is the number on a scale, as much as i don't care for the number i guess i do somewhere inside me. I wish the number could be smaller but i don't do anything really to make it smaller. I think i self-conciously stop myself from eating, i eat about a meal a day or three snacks a day but i don't purposly do it, i just eat when im hungry and i've trained myself to not get hungry as often as an adverage person. Again, i know this all probably sounds weird. Getting back to my point.. I really just get frustrated that i won't let myself gain weight and i am sick of not liking the way i look even knowing i am as small as i am. When someone tells me to gain weight i respond with "I don't know how". I wish i could just do it, but im to afraid of telling my father or really anyone i know about my concerns because i personally don't think im ready to change myself as much as i want to.

Sorry if this is confusing, i know i probably got off topic a bit and may not make sense.. I just need people/a person to vent to about this situation, im done keeping it to myself.

worriedmum Guest

anorexia

My 15 year old daughter was disagnosed with anorexia today. I want to help her and am looking for advice. She hates the world. She hates herself. I noticed changes about 6 months ago.. not eating as much, excercising more, constantly weighing herself. Told myself it was a phase. Shes now been diagnosed. I feel lik I should have done something earlier. She let me hug her for the first tie in such a long tme and shes all bone. What can I do as a parent to help her?

Tasha1701D is offline Fort Security Chief & Stargazer
    Affection
    Penguins & hugs work, no prayers or religious refs
    Truly sorry to hear about the struggles your daughter is having, and I relate to how scary and worrying it is to see something like this happening with someone you care about. Unfortunately, we can't really give advice here, but we can share our own experiences and what has and hasn't worked for us personally. I relate to struggles with eating as I've struggled with an ED for most of my life. I've found it helpful when those who are interested in being helpful read a page from Fort's library about the DOs and DON'Ts of approaching someone with an eating disorder. What has also helped me has been my therapist, my general practitioner, and my nutritionist--cuz they were able to give me ideas about how to look at and relate to food, my body, and the other things affecting me in a way that helped me start to mend what needed mending in my thinking so that I started to look at and see food and things differently. I've also found it helpful to read various other pages in the Fort library, like the section about self inflictions that has a couple of pages on Eating Disorders. I feel that reading has been helpful in my efforts to recover from my ED. I've also found it helpful to take most of the preparation effort out of what I'm eating--so for example, I'll get sliced up apples from the store instead of whole ones, because it's easier for me to eat those. I truly hope that things improve for you and your daughter, and you and she find the help you're looking for.
    ~Tasha

May you have peace, live long, and prosper.

"On the starship Enterprise, no one is alone." ~Capt. Jean-Luc Picard in The Bonding, ST:TNG Season 3
    "Seize the time, Meribor-live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." ~Capt. Jean-Luc Picard as Kamin in The Inner Light, ST:TNG Season 5

4. The following user says thank you to Tasha1701D for this useful post:

weepingwillow (12-23-2015)

I Have Anorexia

I have anorexia but I don't know what to do. I haven't told anyone and am scared too. I really want to get better but am scared of gaining weight and being depressed. Can I slowly increase my calories to a healthy amount so my metabolism has time to catch up? I never knew it would get this bad and I am now disappointed in myself that I let it go this far. I just want to feel beautiful and love myself! I don't know what to do tbh :/

Affection
    No Prayers or Bible Verses. Hugs OK.
    Honestly it almost killed me and was really bad I too have anorexia and was hospitalized. I really don't think I could have gotten better without the hospitalization. Wishing you the best of luck. Do you have a therapist? If not you can tell a GP and just ask for counseling and they can help you et the help you need.

7. The following user says thank you to LovelyChantel for this useful post:

Jane (01-15-2016)

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Idk if others have successfully managed to recover from ED without professional input. idk that once established it can be a hard and complex condition to fully recover from. I hope you find the strength to overcome your unwanted urges...find a way to regain the control you need to live a healthly and fulfilling life.'
    If I may
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

I deal with an eating disorder too

I almost died from my ed, and telling someone I was struggling, ending the secrecy, and going to treatment, all helped me to recover. Life felt like it would end if I lost my ed before I went to treatment, and now I don't know how I ever lived with it before. It is scary though, and I'm sorry you're going through this :/

I struggled with this a lot as a teenager. When I got pregnant, I made the decision for my baby to make changes and forced myself to eat healthy, as hard as it was. I am not saying get pregnant! I'm just saying that was what forced me to change. I have never seen a counselor and 20 years later, I find myself still struggling with it at times of extreme stress. Maybe a professional would've helped me overcome these times better. I don't know. I'll do good for a while, then it rears it's head again. I personally find it easier to manage when I follow regimented diets. (For me, I like Atkins, but there's many different ones out there) It helps me feel more in control and less anxiety about eating.

Affection
    Kindness & hugs.
    Rest in my arms precious child; cradled and warm. You are safe. The war is over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12