+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-harming - unwanted urges

Affection
    I crave affection I don't like goodbye but rather seeya later

hi

I'm 50 yras old and also have been cutting since about 8 yrs old, however, its been over 2 yrs since I have done this...I can only give my opinion and whhat helped me...1st recogniizing I had the problem and then searching out ways to stop or at least decrease it..therapy was the only thing that helped me...I learned coping skills...we searched for the right therapist someone who worked with people who abuse themselves that was very important....I had to dig deep down to find the reason why I cut and abused my body..that takes time and effort..I wish you luck and hope things get better for you, be proactive!!!!!! Julie

Affection
    dont really understand this one?

hey there i am 38 and have been through the same thing since i was 10, I have no answers and i guess i am just looking for others who understand.

I had good luck with dbt, which has a lot of structure and impulse control training. I gotto the point where I can have an impulse and notice it and not act out on it. Sending you peace.. Chrissy

Affection
    hugs

someting you can never take back

i have way to meny scars i still self harm but every day you make it with out selfharming is a win and a step in the right direction something i tell myself now befor i get to that point is collect your thoughts calm your mind conquer your fears give it a try and see if that helps

Affection
    Plaese ask if okay - usually is.
    I used to, for a while it was me mostly, then an alter that did it. We are merged now, have been for 5 years and, I haven't SIed in a good 10 years. Not that I'm not tempted now and then, but I know there are better things I can do and, I know I can make myself do the right thing and I don't have to SI.
    Life is not waiting for the storm to pass-
    It's learning to dance in the rain.

Unregistered Guest

Did it for 13 years, now safe for 7, though not safe by much these days.

I self-harmed from the ages of 13 to 26. I eventually managed to stop with the help of a pet who got very upset if he smelled my blood. He would come running into the room, sit next to me, and make the loudest noises he was capable of until I stopped what I was doing and followed him out of the room. He wasn't a trained therapy animal, he just loved me and knew something was going wrong with me. He still does; being an abuse survivor leaves me with some pretty heavy emotional/psychological scars and he knows my PTSD is not about him; he knows enough to be patient when I'm depressed and not to be frightened if I'm angry.

When I become overwhelmed I still tend to want to self-injure. I don't allow myself simply because I am too stubborn to let 7 years' progress go down the drain but it gets close sometimes. The overwhelm has been off the charts lately and I'm having one of those nights (uh, mornings) right now which is why I'm visiting this site. Stopping self-injuring was good and is good every day I maintain it, but I obviously still have some problems regarding being an abuse survivor.

My self destructive behaviors were largely drugs and alcohol unless you want to include the few times I attempted suicide and the time I got very serious about doing that (I did die, they had to resuscitate me twice, nearly lost me).

I punched walls and other hard surfaces, mostly because it felt good to 'crack the knuckles' not because I really wanted holes in the walls. I know its not exactly the same thing as cutting.

How I dealt with my self destructive behaviors was to seek to stop for only 24 hours - or for an hour which ever. I did the bargaining thing, hold off for a day and then go from there. For a long time there was a string of 24 hours periods, each with the understanding that 24 hours from now I can do whatever. It was far easier to not do a thing for a day than try to manage it for the rest of my life.

I also got myself to working on some of my issues. The day I understood that Y from the past was why I was doing X, X suddenly got a lot easier to not do. There was that intellectual connection of 'why' that helped me a lot to see what I was doing and actually stop. This also worked with nail biting once I figured out why it was I bit my nails (too messy a reason to go into it here).

Amanda, it does become easier with time. It does get better.

8. The following user says thank you to Bowyn Aerrow for this useful post:

Blue (11-15-2012)

jlc20m is offline under redevelopment~check back soon
    Affection
    All are welcome

I s*lf-h*rmed as a child, teen, and young adult. "I" no longer self-h*rm but alters inside still do. We're working on this in therapy.

jlc20m et al
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. Charles M. Schulz
    ~ The Formation (ever evolving) ~
    Baby, Kira, Katey, Aleshia & Aleshia 2, Kerry, Amanda, Mandy, Alisa, Little Eva, Emily & Emily 2, Haley & Haley 2, Emma (Little Em), Justina, Miranda, JustMe, Maggia, Pain
    Tracie, Jen, Julie, Sarah, Micah, Betha, Lindsay, Helen, Hanna, Kendra, Jarid
    Jessica, Samantha, 17
    Lyn, Chris, Michael, The Nameless Ones (nine in number), The Sentry, Caelan, Kyran, Samuel, jlc20m (host), Abigail
    Hidden Group (Spirit Guides, 12 in number), Leah (Angel), Roululend
    Others???
    :st Honorary Member of The Troll Patrol :st

Affection
    :sp

As far back as I can recall

started when I was 4 and 5. I quit for 4 or 5 years until recently.

Hey there I am 20 and I'm currently still self harming
    I totally understand what your facing and the feeling of being outta control
    I get those too!!
    Nice to see other people going through the same stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast