How do you deal with accessibility problems?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. weepingwillow
    Sorry that your sensory issues make things so hard for you. I don't have problems on that level, but do understand how difficult it makes anything outside. I do want to make two points though-assault and battery means physical harm intended to injure, back up beepers and flashing lights are not considered assault and battery under any laws that I know of. These are accommodations under the ADA, which also states "reasonable accommodations" must be made. Some accommodations are mutually exclusive - ie my deaf friend that needs flashing lights and your trouble dealing with them. Also, car horns are very important and are a safety device. If someone can't see your vehicle and is about to hit you the point to a car horn is to warn them that you're there. I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but it's unfair to call anyone that can drive a jackass. It took me years to get the ability to drive back, and it's not right to call me a jackass for doing it.

Under the ADA you may be able to find a program where you can have someone go with you to help in these situations. I did that for a while and it helped me. Also, I go at night as often as I can because there are is less traffic so less noise, light is reduced because the sun is not out, and there are far fewer people at the store. Crowds are one of my biggest problems and can totally debilitate me, so fewer people at the store are a big deal to me. I've also found ways to cut down on outside noise in my home. It is not easy to sound proof, but it can be done and it helps. Another thing that I do when I have trouble getting out to shop for things I need is to order online. I don't think there's anything that you can't buy online.
  2. Jesla
    i wear sunglasses, and always have a book with me to focus on, and wear headphones
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12