Sensitive skin

1. Callmeishmael
    Callmeishmael
    Does any one else have problems with feeling things on their skin? Like I can't stand the feeling of air from a fan on my skin. It is the most uncomfortable feeling I can imagine. The only other person I know who felt this way was my grandma. I didn't know this about her tho, my mom told me about it when I got really mad about the A/C one time when we were driving together. But the feeling of wind is literally my favourite thing in the world. also I can't wear a lot of fabrics, mostly only soft cotton or merino wool. Polyester makes me nauseous, so does plastic, and microfiber. I usually try to cover up most of my skin because I just can't handle all of the feelings.
  2. weepingwillow
    weepingwillow
    I have a skin problem called eczema which makes my skin very sensitive to some things. I can't use anything with aloe vera, shea butter, cocoa butter, or any kind of oil either. If I'm making food and have to use cooking oil I need to wear gloves, because if I get it on me I will have a reaction within an hour. I can't wear wool, or anything of that sort. I can't sit on vinyl or leather, anything that doesn't breathe well. Oddly I can wear polyester, but I prefer to wear cotton since it seems to be the easiest on my skin. On top of all this crap I have really dry skin, which is kind of a cosmic joke since I'm allergic to moisturizers. I have to be careful what kind of soap I use, shampoo and conditioner, laundry detergent, dish soap, make up, or perfume (which I don't normally wear because of the sense of smell anyway, since most perfumes give me a headache). I also can't use hair products like hairspray or gel or anything of that sort. As a symptom of fibro I also have times when my skin feels very sensitive like it's been burned, so sometimes even soft cotton clothing can be painful.

It's a serious pain to deal with this stuff because people don't understand and so they think I'm making things up or just being difficult. It's hard to get people to understand that no, I don't want you to share your perfume with me. If you spray me with that I'm going to get a rash. No, I can't just sit on your new leather couch. No, I absolutely cannot wear that wool sweater. No, I can't use antibiotic ointment. And on, and on, and on..... This is something that I've had all of my life, and it runs in my family so I never realized that it was unusual until I got older. It sounds like it would be really difficult to deal with it, but I don't know what it's like to not have to worry about it. I read the ingredients label on everything before I buy it.

I also have some issues with certain textures. I abhor styrofoam. I really don't like to touch cotton balls, or certain kinds of wood either. Velour gives me chills. It's annoying, for lack of a better term. I'm sorry you deal with this crap, too.
  3. Callmeishmael
    Callmeishmael
    Its nice to know I'm not the only one I have psoriasis and I get tons of rashes and reactions to all kinds of skin products. Strangely enough tho its only started recently, but its getting a bit ridiculous. It is really annoying to have to say no to so many things. A lot of people think I'm being picky (especially with food… I have IBS) but I'm not, i just can't deal with things the way others can. Also my skin reacts to stress like crazy. I get stressed and my whole body shuts down. In a lot of ways its starting to feel like all of these issues are related. when i feel better, when I'm emotionally healthy, eating right, exercising, and all that, all of my issues seem to get better but as soon as one thing in my life falls out of place its like a domino effect and everything crashes down. Its almost like I'm just really sensitive in a bunch of different ways...
  4. eagle22
    eagle22
    My skin seems to react to stress badly too as does my nails and hair. I can appear calm and collected on the outside but know it will come out via rashes,brittle nails and dry hair despite eating all the right foods and taking all the right vitamins.
    xxxx M
  5. weepingwillow
    weepingwillow
    Psoriasis and eczema are both known to be effected by stress. Mine goes haywire when I'm really stressed out.
  6. theredmarker
    theredmarker
    For me, it varies. I think it depends how overwhelmed I'm feeling that day (which...can happen pretty easily, tbh ). But during those times, I hate people touching me, because it burns. I kinda hiss and jerk away. And if other stuff touches me, like a bug or some leaves from a tree, or a gust of wind, that burns a bit, too. Annoys the crap outa me. Makes me wanna go home and crawl into bed for 40 years.
  7. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    I'm trying to retire any clothes, sheets, etc. which contain polyester, spandex, etc., to get my itching and dyshidrosis under control. I've long since refused to wear any clothes which contain wool, and only put up with spandex because it's impossible to find pants without it.