How do you deal with accessibility problems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    Theoretically, public services are supposed to be accessible. Actually, they aren't, at least not where I live and not with my disabilities.

For example, the public transportation system is full of flashing lights and backup beepers, and for me, with my sensory issues, these are incapacitatingly painful, even with 57 nrr of protection for my ears. They have signs saying that they are accessible. These do not help. They have a phone number to report accessibility problems. Lacking alternatives to phones is an accessibility problem. The flashing lights and backup beepers plainly violate the Americans with Disabilities Act, which isn't enforced, not to mention laws against assault and battery, but are required by various other regulations, which might sometimes be enforced.
  2. Manya
    Manya
    i relate to flashing lights an beepers issue cuz of light/sound sensitivity during migraines, very painful tbh, i just stay at home in a dark room with a wet towel on my head when im having a migraine.

i thought flashing lights and beepers were specifically there for the disabled though? flashing lights for the deaf, beepers for the blind? im not fully deaf, but im hearing impaired, and those lights are helping me stay safe, im kinda glad they are there tbh, prevented more than one accident...

ps: you can report accessibility problems by mail, and many areas got websites and email addresses you can submit your concerns to as well. i hate phones too, this how i know
  3. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    you can report accessibility problems by mail,
    I haven't been able to. The public transportation system doesn't have an email for accessibility problems. The one place that did have an email for that, I got an auto-reply explaining that the email was no longer in use.

I have migraines, too, but I have these sensory sensitivities all the time, and I don't have any refuge at home, because I get hit by the same infernal painhammers at home, with the garbage truck, traffic, construction, jackasses who can drive cars and make their cars beep, etc.

i thought flashing lights and beepers were specifically there for the disabled though? flashing lights for the deaf, beepers for the blind? im not fully deaf, but im hearing impaired, and those lights are helping me stay safe, im kinda glad they are there tbh, prevented more than one accident...
    And they hurt so much they make me want to fucking die, and they will probably ensure that I do die. I've already been hit by backup beepers when I was crossing the road... leaving me incapacitated and curled up in excruciating pain the middle of the road...
  4. Manya
    Manya
    i hear you. must be real hard for public transportation system to negotiate all these different needs that people with disabilities have. some need flashing lights, others dont. im sorry that the lights that are helping me are hurting you
  5. lilblacklamb
    lilblacklamb
    have you tried noise canceling headphones? my daughter is really sensitive to to much noise so she wares headphones that just block out back ground noise but you can still talk to someone its pretty cool
  6. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    I've considered them. I've tried cheap ones, which didn't work at all. I've looked at reviews of moderately-expensive ones, and they don't seem to have the same performance as basic ear protectors.
  7. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    I tried to pick up some stuff at the grocery store today. I failed. I was looking for hypoallergenic soap, but couldn't see anything in that aisle because of all the fragrances in that aisle. I have a breath mask, but no eye protection. I was going to check out with the other things, but gave up due to all the light and noise.
  8. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    After someone suggested it on another forum, I decided to try masking noise. I got an mp3 player, installed an hour of pink noise, and stuck the earbuds between the plugs and the protectors. On first impression, it seems to help. And it shouldn't make my hearing more hypersensitive, if anything it might make it a bit less hypersensitive.
  9. lilblacklamb
    lilblacklamb
    make sure to keep a extra careful eye out when your out if you cant hear whats going on around you its easy to miss a on comeing car while crossing a road or something
  10. Ananiujitha
    Ananiujitha
    I can always hear what's going on around me. I sometimes do have trouble when part of the racket obscures anther part, though, I I have to listen out because I can't watch out as much because I have to sheild my eyes from blinding flashing lights.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast