how do you heal what wont leave you alone

1. fox13
    fox13
    Healing for me is very difficult sometimes. the reason for this is because of the way that I remember things. whenever I remember something, I get the emotions attached to the memory and feel them like I am in that moment again and it makes it really hard for me to move on and let go of things. You see I have aspergers(a part of the autistic spectrum) and this means I have trouble reading emotional cues and understanding and processing my own emotions. Due to my issues with emotionsand my near idedic(photographic) memory, I remember things very vividly and feel the related emotions just as vividly, so how do I heal when I can't move past my past emotions? How do I learn to move on & let go? I'm just wondering if anyone else is running into these problems in their healing journey?
  2. gailbarbara
    gailbarbara
    It must be very difficult for you with that total recall. I do not have that so I cannot totally uderstand. I do remember virtually everything that is said to me hoever (verbal memory). It makes it hard to fool myself about what ocurred and makes people angry when I mention it if they can forget more easily.

I try not to "call it up" unless I need it for some reason and instead focus on the present and the future. I don't know if you can do that but it has helped me a little.
  3. fox13
    fox13
    Yeah, I understand about verbal recall, I pretty much never forget things I hear, especially negative things or things I find interesting. I will try my best to focus on the present and future and see if it helps. Thanks so much for the advice.
  4. brillasolare
    brillasolare
    Im actually struggling with a really similar thing. I have triggers everywhere and it is really annoying. I flinch and I get flashbacks before I actually realize that it's okay. So, I understand. I actually joined recently to learn how to move past this, like you. I guess its going to be a little while, before I get past it, I suppose.
  5. Anniie
    Anniie
    We are struggling with similar at the moment. Will it ever get any better?
  6. CoopDog
    CoopDog
    Challenged with moving past.......and so glad this is posted..........doing well...then was sent a newspaper article (everything is online now) from a well meaning friend....my husband who is in jail for my attempted murder...appeal was granted based on a technicality with some evidence...... and ....the hospitalization, the learning to walk again, the attack, surgeries, and all.....all came back in a flood and the ptsd and flashbacks....very hopeful to hear some great insights from you incredibly strong people on here......

I am also here to post and help and contribute.....with heart felt support to all who are healing! So proud of you all!!