Abusing High-Spoon Days

1. Eleanory
    Eleanory
    Does anyone else ever have the drive to overuse high-spoon days? Like, days you mysteriously have energy, do you ever suddenly have the need to do as much as humanly possible?

I mean, I know I pay for it later (I assume you do too?). But when I have a low-ish level of pain and some energy, hot dang, I try to DO stuff! Usually shopping, although this week I've had TWO good days (??? no clue why) so I've done yardwork. But like, after today's work I'm keeling over even on painkillers haha.

What's your experience of this like?
  2. purpleclouds
    purpleclouds
    I definitely do this--sometimes without noticing. It will be a low pain day or a less nauseous day or a less dizzy day--anything in that realm and I end up overdoing it....and then the next day stuff flares up and gets WAY WORSE.

It seems like if I have the energy, I somehow want to get EVERYTHING done (which isn't possible) and then get obsessive about it. I'm very all or nothing...everything clean or everything a mess. No in between. There's actually an OCD piece to it but regardless it's frustrating.

Like for example, my apartment is kind of a dump right now because I've been in bed mostly when I am home....or at doctor's appointments or therapy....and it's anxiety provoking see it but I guess at this point I've noticed that in a sense if I overexert (Even like long grocery store runs etc...) I'm actually harming myself--and there's usually a repercussion. So I guess seeing it that way has helped with the urges to kinda do EVERYTHING but still very anxiety provoking seeing things that need to be done--whether that be cleaning or paperwork or even fun things. Fun things require spoons too!

A week or so ago I need clothes...winter clothes...so I went to a small store and bough a bunch of comfy stuff on clearance and even that was enough to make it hurt to even lift my arms the next day.

And sometimes I don't notice that I'm overexerting until it's too late and there's probably some other examples I'm fogetting.....but yes, I can definitely relate. And I'm sorry you're in pain.

This a little seperate: Something I've found helpful is I have a to-do list app that lets me break it down into different to do lists and I have it on paper too. That helps me keep track and know that I have those thing in mind....but not get overwhelmed. And then it's rewarding if even one thing gets done. (yay stickers )
  3. weepingwillow
    weepingwillow
    All of the time. On top of that I feel guilty that I didn't get enough done when I do run out of spoons. (sometimes for days. )
  4. Eleanory
    Eleanory
    I think my spoon jar might be getting a bit empty after today's antics. Heh.
  5. Empire
    Empire
    I have narcolepsy (diagnosed with it at least, I'm still hoping it was a mistake) and every year or two I'll wake up not feeling as tired as usual... But I get so excited about it and worried about wasting it that I end up not really doing anything at all, and it's only ever lasted a few hours
  6. weepingwillow
    weepingwillow
    If it was only a few hours so rarely I think I'd just try to enjoy not feeling so tired.
  7. Catalyst4Change
    Catalyst4Change
    I hear you completely. All the same things you guys have said. I've started planning around the limitations as much as possible, so if there's something I want/need to go to later in the week, I purposely don't exert myself in the days prior because I've burnt myself out so many times before. I have a tendency to stay up late getting things done on days I feel ok & then being in bed for days because I wore myself out AND I didn't sleep which makes it that much worse. I also use my phone to make detailed to-do lists so I'm organized when the energy/easy pain day strikes.
    As a side note, I found I have pretty severe symptoms of adrenal fatigue. Adjusting my habits to embrace things that help you recover from that while trying to eliminate others that are harmful has slowly, but surely helped me a bit. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone else may be able to help themself as well. T actually brought it up. She says trauma causes your fight or flight system to break down which causes adrenal fatigue. Who knew?

It's too bad so many others suffer as I do, but it's truly a gift to have others to talk to who understand. ��