Our view of G-d - Bible study

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ZJ
    ZJ
    I wanted our first Bible study to focus on our view of G-d, since abuse has often skewed how we view Him and relate to him. I thought looking at the how the Bible describes G-d and His attributes might be helpful.

I know that in my walk with Jesus, it has taken a lot of time and healing to change the negative ways that I view G-d (not that I have arrived). For example, when I first became a Christian, I really felt like I was too bad for G-d to love, and that He would probably strike me dead at any moment, either that or reject and/or abandon me. I thought that He was always angry and mean, and so in some ways I kept my distance.

Of course, none of this was remotely true, but it took me awhile to really learn that in my heart. So, the first attribute of G-d I would like to focus on is His love. In John 4:16, it says that God is love, and in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a it describes what love is;

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own and is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

Sometimes in the place of the word love, I like to place the word G-d. It helps me to see how G-d really is, and not how abuse has taught me to see Him.

Perhaps, everyone can share their thoughts or how this relates or doesn't relate to them (completely optional )
    Thanks everyone and G-d bless you with a deeper knowledge of His love.
  2. Rossk
    Rossk
    Hi ZJ

I grew up in a Christian environment. I thought that God wouldn't accept me due to my sin, and that I need to do all the sinning I was going to do before I turned my life over. Which is so untrue, God don't care what you are in midst of, regardless if he approve or not, He is with you, waiting for you to asked him for help.

In my abusive marriage, I thought God abandon as it felt no way out.I was be condemned for I don't what. All this because my husband used the Word to his advantage. Even though I had some knowledge what God is and about.

God is God, Jesus is God, and so are we. He given us power on this earth to control it. It is up to us to wield our power for blessing or curses. So God (Jesus) is agape love. Unconditional given, without merit or favor. It is just there.

And to your scripture,if you go by Amplified you are given more in depth to it

1 Corinthians 13:4-8Amplified Bible (AMP)

4 Love endures with patience and serenity, love is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; love does not brag and is not proud or arrogant. 5 It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not provoked [nor overly sensitive and easily angered]; it does not take into account a wrong endured. 6 It does not rejoice at injustice, but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]. 7 Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening].

8 Love never fails [it never fades nor ends]. But as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for the gift of special knowledge, it will pass away.

I am pretty sure if we were to list off what our abusers was, they didn't meet the condition love, but what is not love. So they are not living a Godly life. Of course no one is prefect, but they have done things far opposite what God is and does.

To sum it is up, the best I can. I think of God as parents, not as the father only but the mother too. Because He did give us both. Each parent possess qualities that compliments each other, and make that child better (that how it was meant to work). And you have both parents talking to you on the left and right side of your ear ~~~as I pretty sure God/Jesus is always doing, we just got to stop and listen.
  3. BugGirl793
    BugGirl793
    I really like this topic to start off Bible study

When I was very young I was taught that God was an almighty invisible person who had the power to do anything, good or bad. I was told that He had done miracles, but was also the cause for so many horrible things. For example, I remember when I was a child being told that since He created people He was the reason for wars, and He was the reason why people would get sick and go away forever. At the time it made sense, because I didn't know the truth.

When I was a bit older and going through the worst of my past that I can remember, I blamed Him for everything. It stood to reason, to me then, that since He created people He made the bad people bad. I honest to goodness hated Him and wanted nothing to do with Him. I wanted to avoid everything to do with Him.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned the truth. It took me years to overcome my anger and distrust to even hear the truth about Him, let alone believe it. How could He love me when I spent so long hating Him and wanting nothing to do with Him? But I know that He does love me. God is understanding and caring. He knows why I felt how I did. God is patient and waited for me to get myself together and listen. God is kind.

Rossk - I really liked what you said about God being both parents. Sometimes I forget to stop and listen to what he says before jumping in to something.
  4. Rossk
    Rossk
    Hi BugGirl

Do you still believe God caused bad things to happen? ----Just asking
  5. ZJ
    ZJ
    Thanks Rossk, I agree that G-d loves us no matter where we are in life. Like in Romans 5:8 it says that "but God demonstrates His love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." So G-d loves us in the midst of whatever we are going through. Plus "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins, and purify us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9
    I also struggled with believing that God had left me or was punishing me when I was going through some of the worst of the abuse I suffered. What I didn't understand is that G-d gives every person free will to either do good or bad. In other words, people can use their free will to be abusive to me, even though it is completely against what G-d wants. G-d only wants good things for our lives.
    I also relate to G-d as a loving parent, who will never leave me or forsake me. Thanks for sharing, and for including the amplified version. It is interesting to compare different versions.
  6. ZJ
    ZJ
    Hi Bug Girl,
    I went through so many of the same struggles, in regards to my relationship with G-d. It took a long time for me to see G-d as a loving and merciful, plus knowing that He was never going to leave me or forsake me. Thanks for sharing your story, I am sure there are lots of others who can relate too.
  7. ZJ
    ZJ
    To everyone: Should have next study in 2-3 days, have a blessed week
  8. BugGirl793
    BugGirl793
    Rossk - On really tough days those thoughts do cross my mind. I am getting better at remembering that He did not create individuals as "bad". People have free will, and there are those whose will is more ill than others. It is them who caused those events, not Him.
  9. Rossk
    Rossk
    I am not an expert nor can I give all the scriptures. I would like to respond to your comment. He didn't create evil. He know it will be evil as He gave man power to rule this earth and free to chose. Likewise with the angels it appears, because Lucifer turn himself into the devil with pride and vanity cast down into hell.

God created man in His image. God have done things we question and the Lord have been angered (from what we know in the Old Testament), however God made decision in how He would respond and act to people. I don't believe God want us to be sick, poor, stupid, or just anything to bring sorrow.

From the beginning of time, He gave Adam and Eve all the trees to eat from and even warn them not to eat of certain tree, but we know they were deceived as did otherwise. In Deuteronomy God told us we can chose life or death and he said to pick life:

Deuteronomy 30:15-20New International Version (NIV)

15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

If you follow two more scriptures, He tells us we have the power in our tongue to brings things to past
    Proverbs 18:21
    Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit

Jeremiah 29:11
    11For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I am not trying to bash you with the word, or the way you think. I been there and I thought God was testing me or punishing me. But it took a long time for me to reach point to say, not true.

I made some choices, missed some warn signs, and went in and got into trouble. God loves me, He probably tried to warn me but I missed or just didn't listen. However, God still tries to get us out of the messed. He want you to be happy, safe, and at peace. If you reach out to him, He will pull you up. Always, never fail.

Like you said, people are bad because of their decision, maybe due to upbringing or what have you, but that wasn't God intent for them also.
  10. BugGirl793
    BugGirl793
    Rossk - I appreciate your comment, especially today. It was not a very good day. Jeremiah 29:11 is such a great verse, and one that I forget all too often. I think I may write it and hang it somewhere for a better reminder. I could have used it earlier.

He does love and care for everyone, good or bad. I often forget that everyone had (and still have if they want it) the chance to be a good person. God did not want people to be bad, but circumstances make everyone who they are either way. It's up to them to decide who they want to become.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast