Bible verses used to abuse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ZJ
    This thread is to talk about verses that were used during abuse. It is not that these verses are bad, it is because people used them badly. So, if you have one that you would like to discuss, feel free. I will definately be adding to this thread myself
  2. Rossk
    I have a long story of abuse with my husband (yes still together even though I left only to return). He wasn't very verbal/spiritual abusive until he "gave" himself to Christ. So we started looking at a TV evangelistic minister (the minister isn't any way wrong with his teaching, just my husband doing). So he would take the minister verse or topic and interpret to his own. And would either used it for me to asked questions or point out some issues of my own. And if (and majority) of the time I couldn't ask questions as I felt he wasn't right and that would just lead to a hour of how I bringing the family down.

One & the main scripture he used:
    Ephesians 5:22-24
    22Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.…

And of course I agree with this scripture, the man is head of the house, and wives are to submit. Also the man is suppose to love his wife, as Christ loved the church which follows. And I wasn't submissive in my husband eyes. He was the man who didn't work for 7 years, not due to a disability caused he just thought he couldn't get a job and God gave him a $$ making idea. And we had 5 kids, and I make what I could working part time from home. He went out to clubs and strip clubs with a friend. And if we disagree and things got heated, he would scar or hit/fight me. I can't believed I went back to him, I was out and I went back. But I know Jesus will helped me to leave.

Romans 12:2
    * 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Since I was carnal being reborn. He would say I need to spend all my free time renewing it, and Jesus sent him to me. And that I wasn't doing a good job, and until I renewed my mind we would still be in poverty/cursed.

He used other things but those are probably the main ones.
    Since a recent event from Nov 2014, he stopped for the moment. And I don't know if or when he will pick it back up.
  3. Sunshinegang

I'm sorry you had that experience with your husband. I hope that you do not have to experience this from him anymore. What I understand about the first verse you quoted is that yes, we are subject to our husbands, but this does NOT mean allowing ourselves to be abused. The husband really has a much more responsible position in all of it in that he is held to more accountability for his actions in a marriage/family based on the decisions he makes and how he TREATS his family. That is his part to do, to protect, love and cherish you. Just as Christ does for us.
    I have seen and heard so many times that when we feel our husbands are not honoring their part of this agreement, that prayer is very powerful. I can find myself angry, bitter and resentful of my husband if I feel he is not doing his part, and all it does is create further discord. Or, I can humble myself in prayer and pray FOR him... I will lift him up to Jesus and ask that He prick my husbands heart (the words I use meaning to convict his heart) of what he is doing and to come back in line with what Jesus asks of him. I feel that Jesus really honors these prayers from humble and sincere wives.

I will tell you though that that verse has been one of THE HARDEST ones for me to surrender to. I had so much resistant to it at first, God has worked on me a long while (and still is) in fully accepting the truth of it.

As for the 2nd verse for me, I feel this is what we basically spend the rest of our lives doing. By allowing HIS thoughts to supersede our own, we can let go of what we "think" should be and let HIM work THROUGH us in His will. It is like it moves our own limited understandings out of the way and then His will can be expressed through us which "proves' Him as good, acceptable and perfect. Hope that made sense.

For me, it has nothing to do with "if you don't do this right" (ie renew your mind) then you will.... (fill in the in poverty etc). It is more of a gift He gives us, to see above the worlds ways and see it how HE sees it. Having this kind of sight helps so much to weather the storms of life. In addition, renewing one's mind in the ways of Christ is a personal thing. Between me and Him and has nothing to do with my relationship with anyone else. We are not dependent on ANY one else for us to have this kind of relationship with Christ.

As for me, I don't know if I've ever really had a verse used against me abusively per se. But I do know that there have been many of them that I have misunderstood BECAUSE I was abused. I had a very hard time (and still do) seeing God as both this awesome, mighty, powerful and omnipotent being while at the same time, being a loving, caring, personal, intimate Father. I have always been afraid that If I truly allow and trust Him to come in really close to me, sitting beside me, arm around me and loving me, that if I really mess up sometime, He would stand up and tower over me with a booming voice and all that mighty power of His and squish me like a bug. LOL. Ok, so that sounds kinda silly even to me when I write it out. But I know I feel that way inside a lot.

So I've kind of kept Him at "arms length" intimacy wise. I both long for Him to come in close and am terrified of it. But I suspect I am probably not alone in this feeling. It is a daily struggle for me.
  4. Rossk

My Husband can something else. He would think or feel like, I need to follow his teachings of the Bible, and that I couldn't do it without him. And of course, we are suppose to renew our mind so we can know how GOD would or should want us to do, but to my husband, he would say he only another level with Christ than me. Even though he don't read the Bible daily or often. Or that I the whole reason why our family is cursed.

"" I have always been afraid that If I truly allow and trust Him to come in really close to me, sitting beside me, arm around me and loving me, that if I really mess up sometime, He would stand up and tower over me with a booming voice and all that mighty power of His and squish me like a bug. LOL. Ok, so that sounds kinda silly even to me when I write it out. But I know I feel that way inside a lot."" --------

Foremost, you have the right to think what you want to. God loves you, always, and loves everyone. Just the fact only some of us will accept and believe that. God understands you will make mistakes that will be big or small. But he not going to put you down or just hate you for them. When you fall, He wants you to reach out to Him, so you can he show you that He will pull you up and wipe you clean again. He probably want to point out to you where you went wrong and what you can do to avoid it the next time. That just my thought on it. Because no matter what dump and crazy decision I make, God already knows what I should do and I can feel a notion He saying Get back up, so I can help you.
  5. saltandlight
    1 timothy 5:8 1 john 4:8 these som for me. i tink there mite be mor .we met with a man who make me scard and yell at me. he said alot of stuff wen i came out and scard me, i cride and feel bad becaus he say that becaus the problum that makes the whol person lik this which he dident kno that we dident lov God and dident deserv to liv in the hous anymor. he said if he could he would bend me ovr his knee andd spank me. he told me sinc i dont work to help fmaily that i was bad and said why shold my mommy hav to giv me anothr meal becaus i treeted her bad with my action, he said if i dident lik the way things wer and was gona kill mysewf i shold do it rite becaus i wold end up in hell. it reely scare me and made me think God dident lik or want me and that he was onley lik my father. i com out any time i go around that man becaus his voice triggers me becaus he adres us with a harsh voice and it scare me :(
  6. Rossk
    Hi Saltnandlight

I am very sorry that you had to deal with someone like that. And I hoped you are no longer have to deal with him. Its is very cruel and nasty that someone can used a Bible or any book for manner for their own good, and misread a book that wasn't meant to be read like that.
  7. ZJ
    Salt and Light,
    Sorry people used the Bible in such a bad way, and hurt you I went through a lot of abuse, and the Bible was twisted and used against me by my abusers too. It is sooo wrong that they did this, and certainly not what G-d wants. G-d loves us, and wants the best for us. Thinking and praying for you
  8. sara
    "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord." Colossians 3:20

He used this all the time. Her stepdad would make her say this as he was hurting her. Over and over. She had to do what he told her to do. It was what the Lord commanded.
  9. Rossk
    Luke 4 18-19

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised

Abuse is never right and God have no place for it.
  10. saltandlight
    tank you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast